Monday, September 11, 2006
September 11
I was browsing through the news stuff online this morning when I got up and was reading a few things about September 11th, with all the rememberance stuff, and ceremonies going on today, etc. Even around campus there are memorials and so on and so forth.
It's just strange to think that was only a few years ago. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. I was driving to school, had on 103.3, and I thought it was a terrible terrible joke. I didn't think anyone in their right minds would fly a plane into the Twin Towers. (and no one in their right mind commits an act of terrorism) All day long we were in the library or in classes watching all the carnage unfold on the news. My volleyball game that night was cancelled, and I remember the string of cars outside every gas station in town, waiting to fill up, because of the fear of increased gasoline prices.
Now, a few short years later, here we are. It's strange to watch movies that were made in New York in the 90's that show the Towers, and it's a little sad. They are now non-existant. And we're fighting an uphill battle, where no one is seeming to gain any ground. Gas prices are terrible (thought they can always get worse) and I am now a proud member of the United States military.
I wasn't so sure back then how my life would be affected by that day, or how the world in general would be affected. But now I know. Upon my graduation (which is just in 13 short weeks) from UNI, I have only a few weeks before I ship out for my Navy training. I'm going to be a linguist and work in intelligence. Based upon my high test scores and language abilities, I'll most likely be learning Arabic with a small possibility of Korean, Chinese or Japanese, but most likely - Arabic will be it.
A lot of people are upset by my decision to do this, but the majority of my family and friends are happy for me, and proud of me. To be honest, it really feels as if I'm doing the right thing. I'm really excited to be serving my country, to be working for something greater than myself. But I'm not going to lie, there's a part of me that's terrified beyond belief at the unknown at what will (potentially) happen, or where I might go. That's a risk I'm just going to have to take.

Anyway, I was just thinking.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com