Thursday, October 09, 2008
Down the rabbit hole
Had a really peculiar dream last night.

I was in this smallish town that was all relatively new. Those of you who were in Ames and remember trekking into Somerset's "authentic main street" will know the kind of odd feeling of walking down a street seeing old style buildings, but knowing that they can't be more than a few years old, with uncracked sidewalks, and saplings.

I'm following a friend through this new 'old' main street. I don't really know who he was. I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually exist. We crossed a street when I noticed a pair of rails that were not quite covered by sidewalk that happened to lead through a building. Since I wasn't familiar with the town, I ask what this was all about. He tells me that this area of town used to be warehouses and factories. He tells me that a few of the buildings still exist, although they are hidden behind the new buildings. One of which is his father's old lab.

So he leads me along another set of half buried rails through an alley. The new 'old' main street style buildings hide this strange lot of tall grass, rails, strange metal and glass bubbles that ranged in size from tire to vw beetle sized. In the middle of it, was an surprisingly ornate brick octagon warehouse. Narrow rails came out from the main doors.

I was amazed by this odd lot or that I couldn't see any of it from the street. My friend was poking around at one of the bubbles and I of course was focused on the rails and what was behind the doors. I noticed that my friend wasn't too enthused to be here. I figured he'd been here so many times that it was old hat. Then I started to wander around into the grass and heard crunching sounds and something stuck in my foot (dunno why, but I was barefoot). Bones, and more bones. I don't know why I didn't notice them before, but there they were, along with skulls. That's when we freaked out, the lot was littered with human skeletons. We got the hell out of the lot back to the main street. Adrenaline wearing off, I asked him what the hell his dad did in there. Catching his breath, he shook his head and said he didn't know.

He was just as freaked out as I was, so I assume he didn't know what was going on in there. I want to go back now. Explore that place. Wonder if my subconscious will let me.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com