Thursday, January 07, 2010
Music Appreciation 2010
It's 2010 muzzer beeches!

And we're all wondering the same thing: Where are the flying cars?

As it turns out, flying cars are really hard to design. How about a flying motorcycle instead?

BEHOLD, THE FUTURE!!!





The Switchblade, by Samson Motorworks










Or how about a flying . . . hovercrafty . . . thing.





The X-Hawk, by Urban Aeronautics












Maybe 2020? If we start saving now, we might be able to afford one.

Instead of griping about what we don't have, we could be thankful for what we do have. Like the iPod. My goodness how awesome is that little gadget? Do you remember music before the iPod? Back when we had to buy a whole CD and then insert that clunky ol' disk into a CD player? How did we ever survive? Seriously though, I love the iPod. It gets my vote for best new product of the past ten years. And how about the social networking websites? Pretty awesome, huh? Probably #2. Except Twitter. Twitter can suck it. My favorite . . . well, I hate to mention it by name, but it rhymes with Occult Trend Binder.

Rolling Stone did a special issue recapping the '00 years in music and reminded readers just how good music has been these past ten years. They make a good argument by comparing what we heard on the radio in the '00s with what we heard on the radio in the late '90s. Remember Fred Durst? How about N'Sync? Backstreet Boys? Britney Spears? Mudvayne? For most of us, that's all they are. A memory. We don't hear any of that crap anymore. Sure, there is still plenty of crap, but it just seems so much less crappy. The crap is diluted.

I'm always on the lookout for good new music and this issue of RS was an excellent place to find it. Not all of it is really 'New' anymore, but I've never really listened to bands like Wilco or the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs or even Jay-Z and this made me take a second look at some of these bands I've overlooked these past ten years. Rolling Stone isn't always the most reliable source of musical taste, but they had 100 artists, critics, and other music biz people vote so the final list was the result of the sacred democratic process the supreme court took for granted at the beginning of the decade.

Here's a link to the Top 100 Albums of the '00s.

I could go on and on with my reactions to some of their choices. One that caught my eye was #29, Sigur Ros. I thought this band was just some way-out goof troop only an eccentric English grad student would listen to (do you know Joe?), but as it turns out, other people have heard of them and really like them.

I was really glad to see Green Day's American Idiot appear at #22. That was one of my favorite albums of the decade. There were a couple of occasions back in '04 when I defended it against criticism, so I felt kind of vindicated to see it there.

The issue also features the top fifty songs and the ten best movies of the decade. Gnarls Barkley's Crazy got #1 song--I couldn't agree more. The #1 movie was There Will Be Blood.

Aside from that, if you haven't already been listening to Kings of Leon, Muse, and Man Man--get on that! I know Man Man and Muse don't appear in the top fifty, but they are still rock hard on stilts. Kings of Leon are also some hardrockin sumbeeches. If you haven't heard the song Four Kicks, I assure you, it will be the hard-rockinest two minutes and eleven seconds of your life!

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com