Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Du . . . du hast
I was going to write a little about the health care bill but then I
expended my energy in the comment to Dave's post (edit: well, guess
what, I wrote it after all). Here is the short version: we need more
rational examination of both the attractive and the ugly with this
thing, like what's going on here. What's making me want to serial kill
kill kill is the insane reactionary and, in the case that sent me over
the edge, morally legislative people screaming about abortion, all the
fucking babies, holy cow, the Federal Gov't is shoving the things
headfirst into the salad shooters. My (admittedly limited)
understanding of the bill is that it doesn't change anything about
federal money and abortion, and that Stupak got Obama to promise an
exec order explicitly (and redundantly) barring federal money for
abortions.

So in this context abortion stances shouldn't matter, since shit isn't
changing. And then people in internet land are writing about what a
dark day it is when we're legislating abortion, and other people are
reading it and getting all Yeah! Screw them bastards! And my fear is
that we won't have a chance to rationally evaluate anything because
people who want to transmute their personal interpretation of an old
book's ambiguous interpretation of the whims of an omnipotent and
invisible being into laws that govern the lives of everyone else will
come together to pray and vote and wave their fucking placards around
and scream at people who disagree with them. And in this case they're
rallying around something that seems not even to be an issue. How do
you argue against that kind of fearful/hateful/emotionally-driven
insanity?

I almost jumped into one facebook exchange yesterday that ended with
the (well, according to me) enemy essentially saying the case is
closed because his religion dictates his politics. Which itself is
insanity. This sort of thing is one reason I've become a little
hostile about religion in general: it is a dangerous tool with which
to manipulate masses of people who have willingly and gladly
short-circuited their logic in favor of whatever cloud of mystical
ideas happen to be prevalent around where they grew up. Once you start
discounting all opposing arguments because they conflict with the way
you interpet a translated string of text from a 1800 year-old
collection of writings about divinity, you're setting yourself up as a
seer or an oracle. And it doesn't matter if you're wrong because you
can't be wrong.

Holy shit it makes me straight insane.

Whew.

Okay.

Forgive me.

Let me offer you this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie"
value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8ktfgc7AB0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param
name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w8ktfgc7AB0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always"
allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's the real impetus for this post, though. I wouldn't have just
started typing, probably, no matter how insane with rage (this morning
I actually had a rage hangover). Anyway, here's what I wanted to share
with you:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2010/mar/21/tom-bissell-video-game-cocaine-addiction

about GTAIV and cocaine. It's a really nice article. Real nice. And
then I found out this author has a whole book coming out about the
video games:

http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Lives-Video-Games-Matter/dp/0307378705/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269405936&sr=8-3

What do you think? Huh?

Let's talk about some other stuff while I'm here. What do you think?
(Dave, this is what I meant about having a procrastination problem as
well.)

1) I am close to finishing a very long novel. Tonight, while talking
about books we read, Sarah said if she were to buy me a novel, she
would look for something loaded up with vulgarity, sex, and drug
abuse. Guess what! This book I wrote is bloated with all three of
these! Actually, there's not a whole lot of sex in the narrative. But,
you know. There's enough, baby. Enough. Anyway her evaluation of my
literary tastes was pretty accurate, is what I'm saying.

2) I decided to become a horror novelist too, but I think I'm gonna
give that up.

3) Starbucks is running this promotion where you buy a coffee every
week for eight weeks or some number of weeks and then you get a free
pound. Pretty great! Sadly I already blew it.

4) We have a lot of stuff here you don't have up there. And I'm not
just talking about palm trees and the tequila bar across the street.
I'm talking lizards all over the place outside. I'm talking a
motherfucking space center. But what I was really thinking about when
I started this paragraph was this taco chain called Tijuana Flats.

5) This is gonna be it. It's a recipe from dinner tonight I cobbled
from lots of websites:

take some beef. Make some patties. Then, in a separate bowl, mix up
pepper, some salt, paprika, thyme if you have it. Pat this shit over
the burgers. Onto the skillet or grill pan. With two minutes left to
cook. slap on some blue cheese. Then some pickapeppa sauce. Do you
have that up there?

http://www.pickapeppa.com/

Sarah's a big fan.

BONUS FOR GOATHEAD:

Salmon burgers:

Take some salmon and hack it up. Raw here. Cut it up raw. Then press
the chunks (maybe each the size of an 8x2 LEGO) into patties. Get some
chives in there and some black pepper. Brush with oil and grill 15
minutes. MAN. Just don't drop one to the floor when you transfer it to
the plate. Because you overpaid for this fucking salmon. Try not to
swear too much if you do.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com