Friday, July 22, 2005
Pronuciation Rant
I'm watching the news, they just showed the map for ragbrai. It's going through Guttenburg this year! (I remember it going through garny one year, and walking through a number of people's pictures).

Then the news lady says: Gootenburg, like the original printer, or Steve from the police academy movies. But that's Gutenburg! I've been told we say it wrong, even though I've lived near it my entire life and no one (not even the old people) pronounce it that way. Not even my grandma, who grew up in a purely german speaking household as a child says it that way!!!

I suppose this is the same arguement the people of Neveda have with their town's name. Neh-vade-a, not Na-Vad-a like the state...

*Note* This does not mean I understand the pronunciation plight of a small town up north call Festina. That is all.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com