Friday, December 09, 2005
Now I'm pissed!
The Dept. of Ed. stirred my furies, and I sent this back to the grad school rep I've been sparring with:

I guess I'll have my friends write it.

None of my professors with relevant experience are even returning my calls or emails. I have no idea what's going on.

I've won numerous writing awards. My GRE verbal score places me in the top 1% of test takers. I've dropped almost $800 on apps and GREs and transcripts and postage. And now I'm going to spend next year taking dictation for some corporate career widower instead of doing anything intellectually stimulating or even worth my time.

I understand the college has admissions requirements, but it seems completely illogical to completely rule out an application because two individuals who have nothing to do with my future performance have blown me off. I spent my undergrad career preparing for this, got a better GRE verbal score than any students currently in the English grad programs at two Iowa state schools I contacted, won the university's writing contest all three times I entered, got some publication credits, and now . . . it means nothing because one of my professors is too busy editing a magazine and the other's brain has apparently dissolved in a mess of whisky and grief over his brother's death.

At this point, there's no way I can get any old profs to write and send a letter by the 15 December deadline.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com