Saturday, July 22, 2006
It's my time
It's kind of crazy when you realize that you've only got one semester left of college. For a long time, I've been trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with myself, and now I know.

I joined the Navy.

I know that a lot of you have qualms with the government and the way it works, and have issues with the military and the way it works. But, this was my decision, and to be completely honest with you, I'm really excited about it.

My last post was about me going to DSM, and that I'd be up there for a couple days. I was up there taking tests and seeing if I qualified for the job that I wanted. Not only did I qualify, I exceeded the standards that I needed to. (And scored over twice the national average on one of the tests) If any of you are curious as to what I'm going to do, here's how the cookie is going to crumble.

I am going to be a translator/interpreter when I leave. To do this, I had to take a test called the Defense Language Aptitude Battery, which only 33% of people even pass. You've got to have certain scores to qualify for certain languages which are categorized by difficulty, the lowest being French and Spanish, and the hardest (Category IV) being Arabic, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese. You need to have at least 100 for those, and I got 102. I have also been accepted into the Defense Language Institute, which is the most prestigious language institution in the entire country. It's very competitive and difficult to get in, and I've been promised a spot there in writing. Not only that, but I've also been guaranteed a $10,000 sign-on bonus, and going in as an advanced rank. On top of that, I will also become an officer in as soon as I possibly can.

And like I said, I know that some of you have problems with the way our government and military are run. And I'm sure with my high test scores and language ability, I will most likely be learning Arabic or Korean or something of that sort. However, I'm going to have so many more opportunities after this, I can only imagine.
But most importantly, I am going to be serving my country.
Serving you.
I'll be putting on a uniform and working for something that I believe in.
So, yeah...That's about it. I just wanted to share that with all of you, and I'd really like to know what you guys think of this. Thanks and much love, always.

Edit: I forgot to include that my job as a translator/interpreter requires me to have top-secret clearance from the CIA/FBI/etc as well. So, it's a pretty important thing that I'm going to do.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com