Saturday, June 28, 2008
Whats from the earth is of greatest worth
the burning brushes are speaking

the waves drum a warning on the shore

the levees are leaking

the earth is rumbling from its core

the foolish are freaking

the wise prepare for what's in store

There is power in names. The ability to name something gives you power over it. The namer shapes the thing she names just like Romminger shapes clay on a wheel. I sucked at pottery, and I think the reason was because I wasn't patient enough to slowly and rhythmically shape clay. I thought I could just beat it into shape like a blacksmith.

Global Warming is a term that has had people's hands all over it. In my mind it is sometimes a big black drooling smog demon with oil fires for eyes. It moves over forests and jungles lighting fires wherever it steps. It gobbles up pandas and polar bears. It pisses fire and shits brimstone all over the planet.

Sometimes Global Warming is an oil-soaked guerrilla holding a black, dripping Ak-47. He runs around like Tony Montana in the last scene of Scarface, screaming "You want to drive cars, huh? You just go ahead jump into that SUV, asshole." Then he pulls out a gas pump and says, "Say hello to my little friend."

That second one is an image many Americans might really find scary.

Global Warming: The Environmental Terrorist.

But is it really a terrorist, or is it a freedom fighter? It's too bad we have such a tough time distinguishing between the two.

What the English couldn't understand about Ireland and India; America couldn't understand about the middle east; we might not understand about global warming is: we deserve this.

We have fought and tried to control nature for a long time on a massive scale. Now, a lot of people talk about fighting global warming. That has got to be the answer, right? Fight or flight. We can't run from global warming (yet), so we have to fight it. But isn't that exactly the mentality that got us into this problem in the first place? The idea that we can fight nature is as dangerous as any other war mankind has ever conceived.

Maybe it's time to stop fighting nature and start trusting it. After all, we grew out of nature. Mother Earth is scolding her children. Maybe we need to stop throwing tantrums, take a time out, and listen to what she is telling us.

Making decisions about my future employment and locale has been really tough. Should I gamble on the status quo dominating the future, or put my money on a shake-up scenario? And what sort of shake-up can I count on? Should I start a potato farm in Melrose or keep pushing paper for Wellsy McFargo? What does the earth want me to do?

I wish I knew.

Until a solution can be found.

I'll be in Amsterdam.

Burning one down.

My choice is what i choose to do;
and if I'm causin no harm,
it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be;
and if your causin no harm, then your alright with me.

If you dont like my fire, then dont come around, cause I'm gona burn one down.
Yes, i'm gonna burn one down.

Herb is the gift from the Earth,
and what's from the earth is of the greatest worth.
So before u knock it, try it first.
and you'll see it's a blessing and it's not a curse.
If you don't like my fire, then dont come around,
cause i'm gonna burn one down.
Yes i'm gonna burn one.

Ben Harper, Burn one down

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com