Thursday, March 11, 2010
mother
I'm pinch hitting for a part of my department that had to go home
early. What does that mean? I'm administering the student survey. What
does that mean? I'm fucking around on a computer at the front of a
classroom empty of students and full of computers. We've also got a
shitload of snacks on carts--or the remains of a shitload:

Some chocolate rice krispy treats
Some regular rice krispy treats
Some bagged peanuts
Some candy bars

I've been in here ten minutes and already four staff members have come
in to take snacks, which are supposed to be for students who've
completed the survey. This isn't really a big deal, but the last one
literally just walked out saying, "Don't worry, I only took four."
I've also had students come in and start rifling through the
assortment. You have to take the survey! I said. I took it last week,
one replied. How many days have they been in here stoking the fat
fires of their guts? And the work studies, who've been running the
show, I've seen waddling down the hall arms loaded with almost more
than they could carry. The look was like unto that you see on an
animal caught in the glare of a flashlight before it bolts for the
nearest bush.

I also had another student come in and sit down and start typing away.
Are you here for the survey? I said, and she just looked at me. I can
print? she said. Sure, I said (we're in a regular pc lab). I can
print, she said. I can print? I don't know, I said. Can you usually?
But I can print? She poked around and nothing happened. She moved to
another machine, and another, and another. She could never print, and
the survey, which was loaded on every machine, is now gone from those.

Holy lord.

Complicating my ilfe, I've become aware of two full-time English
professorships at a community college here. Now, I know, CC's, not
that exciting, but come on! Teach 15 hours a week, office hours 10, a
real English Dept., a real school, campus, classes that are beyond
remedial English, the chance to teach creative writing courses,
visiting writers, a library with real books, cafes on campus, holy
shit. The only thing is that I'd have to actually start working again.
Right now I'm on a pleasant sort of autopilot. I'm also damn good at
the current job, as I've been doing it for two years now. Also, Sarah
and I are looking to get the eff out. This would only complicate the
escape.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com