Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Defibulate!

I love how the dapper gent on the left is all like, "Damn it. Not again. Stupid micks..." as if drunken Irish brawls with sticks were common occurrences.

So as some of you may know: I love my job. I go into work, go onto the email, and find art requests. I take these requests and do the art they "request." Most the time, it's something as follows:

An image of an 11-year old Hispanic boy. He is running away from a donkey. He should be happy.


Not too bad, but sometimes the artwork is super detailed and needs to fit into about an inch of space. Oh, and a lot of my artwork is for special needs children. That means everyone has to have giant smiles and be of the same disposition. I can't hide penises or monsters in the art because there are some smarmy people in Copy Edit who look for these things. No joke: they returned a picture of a flower because it looked phallic. They also told me to make a black teacher look "-less like Skeletor." I have hidden video game references in drawings, specifically an Earthbound scene with four kids walking from a library (one kid has a book with a fly, another with a Starman, Jr.)

I also came up with a situation that went as follows:

CE: Could you make this kid look more Hispanic?
Me: What do you mean?
CE: You know... more Hispanic. You know? Make him... Hispanicer? He looks too Anglo...
Me: I'm not following. How much more Hispanic do you want him?
CE: Well... just make him look more Hispanic but not stereotypical.


I ended up making his hair black. And it worked.




How are you?

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com