Wednesday, May 04, 2005
Not if anything I have to say about it.
From now until May 19th I will post only if what I have to say somehow relates to Star Wars.

And hell, might as well start it off with a bang.

Last night I bought the "Sith" soundtrack and I must recommend it. I liked Menace's soundtrack, I thought that Clone War's soundtrack was pretty good and I would put this one on the top of the list. It doesn't have any tracks that really jump out at me, but the tempo and intensity of it make it a really great listen.

I bought the soundtrack, in part, as a sort of placation to the consumerist little kid in me that wants to buy every Jedi figure on the rack. I was caught last night, by two attractive young ladies, intensely studying some of the larger, more statuesque figures of Obi-Wan and Anakin in lightsaber-duel poses. At that point I had to force myself to walk away from the toy department. One rational, adult voice in my head saying, "You're almost 23 years old, you do not need to buy any action figures." Another saying, "But they're SOOO FUCKING COOOL!" Oddly enough, the other voice sounded a little like Ryan.

So the big news for me this week came from Kevin Smith's blog. I caught about twenty seconds of an interview he was doing while I walked past one of the TVs at the gym. The only information I got out of it was that he had seen the new Star Wars, had really enjoyed it and had posted a review on his personal blog. That was all I needed to know.

I didn't read his entire review because it has quite a few spoilers, but one paragraph was enough to convince me that this movie is not going to be at all dissipointing. "Revenge of the Sith” is, quite simply, fucking awesome. This is the “Star Wars” prequel the haters have been bitching for since “Menace” came out, and if they don’t cop to that when they finally see it, they’re lying. As dark as “Empire” was, this movie goes a thousand times darker..."

And this is coming from someone who, I thought, was pretty vocal about his dislike for the first two prequel movies.

He goes on to say "Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor steal the show, but Hayden Christensen silences any naysayers who wrote him off as too whiney in “Clones”. This is the flick that feels closest to Episodes 4, 5, and 6, because - for the first time since “Return of the Jedi” - there is a clear villain."

And finishes nicely with "Look, this is a movie I was genetically predisposed to love. I remember being eight years old, and reading in “Starlog” that Darth Vader became the half-man/half-machine he was following a duel with Ben Kenobi that climaxed with Vader falling into molten lava. Now, twenty six years later, I finally got to see that long-promised battled - and it lived up to any expectation I still held. I was sad to see the flick end, but happy to know it’s not the end of the “Star Wars” universe entirely (I’ve read stuff about a TV show…). “Sith” doesn’t happen; “Sith” rules."

I still don't want to get my hopes too high, but damn...I'm excited.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com