Friday, July 22, 2005
My Thoughts Are Not My Own
During student elections in middle school and high school I remember signs that said "SEX" in big huge letters and underneath it said "Now that I've got your attention, vote for Randy."

That word really does catch your attention. I'll be scrolling through news headlines, looking for something to read and suddenly all other brain function stops as I quickly scroll back to where I saw the word 'sex'.

It catches your eye.

I suppose the argument could be made that it's a very simple word with an interesting arrangement of letters and a curious design.

No.

We know why that word catches peoples' eyes. Because, for whatever reason the word 'sex' is being used, it's probably for something interesting and we're curious what it might be. We're interested in sex.

Well, I've noticed that there are other words that have this affect on me. The most notable is God (capitol or lower-case 'g'). Whenever I see the word 'god' I can't help but stop and investigate. If I see some bumper sticker from a distance and I can't really read what it says but I know it says 'god' somewhere in there, I have to go out of my way to pull closer to the car so that I can read what it says. I'm usually disappointed when this happens because most bumper stickers that include the word 'god' are moronic.

A lot of the other words that have this affect are from, or are related to, religion.

So I recently came to the unsettling conclusion: I am just as obcessed about religion as most people are about sex.

And it isn't my fault! I swear I was hard-wired from my conception to be obcessed with religion. It's just one of those things that I can't seem to shake out of me. I love to eat fish, I love to water ski, I love the feeling of a girls lips against mine, I love banana-flavored ice cream, I love to have orgasms and I love to read about religion. Or watch television shows about religion. Or engage in any (well, not really ANY, but you get the idea) activity that is religion-related.

It kind of freaks me out occasionally. I look at myself in the mirror and wonder, "Why me? I don't strike myself as the kind of person who would really be THAT into religion." But I am.

And I'm also very embarrassed by it. I very rarely admit it publicly. Of course, it does tend to cause controversy as I have painfully been reminded over and over throughout my life. But that isn't the only reason I avoid mentioning it. Another reason is that I don't want to be looked at as someone who is 'into religion'.

People have certain expectations and preconceptions about what a person who is 'into religion' is like, and I don't really fit into many of them. I don't want to fit into them and I really don't want to ruin it for all of those nice people who do fit into them. Those people who set the sterotype. Like Carrie Ogle, for instance.

My question to the audience is: Can someone be this passionate about something naturally? Can I make the decision to not be into religion anymore, or is it possible that it really is, as I said, 'hard-wired' into me? Are my thoughts not really my own?

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com