Saturday, July 21, 2012
F:NV: Number Three: Ungratified Expectations
Nine days ago I left you with the blistering question: what was being projected by the crashed satellite at the desert drive-in? Some of you probably quit your jobs because you couldn't concentrate on anything but the mystery. Well, what was being projected was this: an eye, a searching, frantic eye.


When I began activating the satellite I received a warning that I should probably have a much higher level than mine, so I gave it up for now and wandered off. The bulk of the mystery remains. Of course, no other wanderers would approach the satellite and certainly none would activate it and be levitated or teleported (Blogger thinks that's not a word) into wherever the related action takes place. I'd like to come back here when I'm ready and find the crash site swarming with yokels, maybe a few corpses, maybe see someone zap out, bwip. It's something missing from games like this: NPC curiosity. The game's various scorpions and robot/brain hybrids and drug fiends and military personnel know to run toward me, screaming or firing weapons, but not to check out this bright-lit anomaly in the nothingness of the sand.

 
Anyway, a small adventure ensued. I visited this theme park (really a town surrounded by a roller coaster track) and shot up a bunch of fuckers in a hotel. Dynamite, grenades, I was almost entirely crippled afterward, blood-soaked, but I saved a wiener of a deputy and now have a secondary mission that requires me to find a new sheriff for the roller coaster town. This can be the wiener himself, I think, or a military entity, or a robot, or maybe something else. Who knows? I got distracted from this quest when I saw an enormous dinosaur silhouetted in the distance.


This dino is actually a tourist attraction, a sort of billboard for the hotel which is at the heart of Novac (its very name derived from the hotel's neon no vacancy sign, with its burnt-out letters). Inside this dinosaur is a gift shop and some stairs leading to the mouth. There is also, after the first DLC download, a set of controls accessible from behind the gift shop counter that lets you uproot and pilot the lumbering beast and roar and smash ghouls. The scratchy holotape instructions tell you to be careful how you aim the radioactive breath, but, alas, the radioactive breath mechanism is broken or stolen, who knows.


Okay, I made up all that about piloting the dinosaur just to confuse anyone's who's played this game. Really what you do is climb the stairs from the gift shop and exit into the dino's mouth, where you find this sniper, who has some information on the guy who shot you but will only give it up after you clear a nearby rocket facility of its ghoul infestation. Of course.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com