Thursday, October 06, 2005
Whore!
My freshman year of college, I acted in a play with this scrawny little blonde kid who always wore a scarf. What a dork, I thought. What a freaking dork. And then November rolled around and I walked to class and touched my neck and brittle, pinkish chips of iced flesh fell away, like paint chips from a house, and I bought a scarf.

And now whenever I dash across a busy street and my scarf billows out to the side I feel like a ninja. I should be rolling across that damn street; I should be leaping onto the hood of an Impala, kicking my way over top of a Beemer and landing safely on the other side of Grand. But then I realize that no, I am not a ninja; I am just a dork with a scarf.

. . .

As some of you know, I am applying to Institutions of Graduate Education. In the past I was cocky and certain of success; now, however, I will not be surprised if the only place that accepts me is ISU.

But I take comfort in knowing that if I fail, I can probably continue to work for the government, and pay exorbiant rental fees for a place downtown, where I will fulfill my destiny as the Master Drunk. Or near bookstores in WDM, where I will fulfill my destiny as the Master Nerd. Or in New York or SF or elsewhere where I will fulfill my destiny as the Master Hobo.

Grad schools really want you to apply electronically lately. Check this out (my favorite part is in parentheses):

If filing online simply will not be possible for you, you may download
and print the application from a PDF (Adobe Acrobat) document here:
http://gradsch.syr.edu/admission/appdownload.htm . You should fill in
the SUID number above on that form. (If it happens that even using a
PDF will not be possible for you, you may request that a printed
application form be mailed to you by using the "reply" function in your
email software. Please be sure to include this message in your
auto-reply.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com