Monday, December 07, 2009
The Things I Do for My Friends -:- OR -:- In Which the Author Again Asks, What the Fuck?

One of my functions here—indeed, the function I took on that lead me to my current position—is to lead a small-group single-section test prep course. When a prospective student attempts the university's entrance test and fails, the US Dept. of Ed requires that that student undergo some sort of "learning activity" prior to being allowed to retest.

 

We hold these sessions thrice weekly, and if I'm lucky no one shows up. I'm supposed to be running one right now ("here are three times you want to use commas in everyday language; here's how to multiply decimals") but nobody showed. I stood at the reception area in this building waiting for nobody to show and then a student stumbled in out of the rain carrying four tote bags of various colors and markings. Huffing and wheezing. Whew. She was damp. She looked sort of crazy.

 

Where are you going? I said. She told me. I was elated with not having to teach the damn class and so I said, Let me help. Wait, she said. She dropped the bags and reached in, took out a full-size Hershey's bar, and placed it on the reception desk, next to the receptionist, who was distracted and on the phone. The tote bags were all heavy with these things, various full-sized candy bars. 2/3 full. I grabbed up two.

 

I bring these for my friends, she said. The things I do for my friends. We walked down the hallways and my arms started to burn. This was an absolute shitload of candy. Like seriously, writing this now, it seems impossible to me that the trove was worth less than a hundred dollars. And she brings this in weekly? Surely there is either theft or derangement involved. Or she's a secret heir to some chocolate fortune, which you could interpret either as a thick stake in a chocolatiering company or as a vault full of sugary-sweet coins and rabbits. A scepter capped with a Cadbury egg.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com