Monday, December 07, 2009
Interview Today
I have not been keeping up with the daily post challenge. Kudos to Tim and Dave for keeping the blog lively. I have big big news though: Today I had an interview for a wonderful job. I don't want to jinx it, but I think it went pretty well. I only wish I knew who else was interviewing. Its a good job, in Des Moines, at a pretty big company, but nothing that I would expect to draw hundreds of applicants. How many other people in Des Moines could have two years of proofreading experience and a master's degree?

Last spring I had a phone interview with some marketing agency in Chicago. The girl I was talking to said she had a lot of calls to make, since over 700 people applied for the job! Needless to say, I didn't get that job. Didn't even get an in-person interview. That was when I really started to get discouraged about the job market. Competing with hundreds of people for one job seemed a lot like those duck races Ottumwa used to have. Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of rubber ducks all floating down the river, but only one can cross the finish line first and claim the prize.

I think I'm in a smaller pool this time around. Hopefully none of the other ducks have propellers strapped to their butts.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com