Monday, February 08, 2010
Ideas for the Wedding
And some of you may also know this: in addition to general academic
advising, I also prod students to take the GED test. Yes, it's true,
in Florida and in several other states (maybe all) you can enroll in
school and receive federal student loan money without your high school
diploma, provided that you pass a slightly more rigorous entrance
test. How much more rigorous? Only slightly. The math questions look
like this:

2436 divided by 6

If you fail the test you can take it again up to four times within a
six-month period. Also I will teach you how to pass it once you fail
it

So a great deal of my time here is spent persuading students to go
take the GED test. Only a tiny number of them actually do (easily less
than 2%). However, they all know it's important for their careers
because we're required to remind them, so often, in some cases, that
they tire of seeing us.

And about every week somebody will come in because they'll be
graduating soon and they realize, suddenly, that life would be better
if they'd taken the GED test. Sometimes they've been offered a job
that they can't accept without it. Today one of these people came in
to ask about the test schedule. I gave her the handout. I also looked
her up in our database to see how many times I'd advised her. She
would be graduating now in two weeks and was having trouble finding a
job. She needed that GED. Do I get the results that day? You get them
in THREE MONTHS, I intoned. For probably the fourth time since she
started here. Three months!

You can imagine that these sorts of interactions bring me some glee.
It's not because I'm evil, but because it is so damn exhausting to see
the same arc repeatedly.

In other news, Sarah, I'm afraid that Dave and I have planned the
wedding, and the theme is this: Victorian-era time traveling.

At the end we'll climb aboard the time device and zap out to the reception area.

Dave suggests we have very large steaks, as well.

In other news, we will now need a new last name. Or we might.
Suggestions are welcome in the comments.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com