Saturday, July 10, 2004
He does exist!
Well I sit here having just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, and I must say its a hell of a read. I think I started reading it on Monday night, and finished it now on friday. Amounts to over a hundred pages a night, perhaps the most I've read in years. It has been a glorious reprieve from the toils of work. You should read it if you get the chance. It might not have been Monday night that I started it though, which isn't to say that it still wasn't enjoyable.

Its just that time is strange for me here.

I awaken at 8am, dress, and bike to work where I remain until around 5pm.
I return home to eat supper and try to relax for an hour or two.
I work for a few more hours, and then sleep.
Somehow I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that times passage seems to blur.

I find myself frustrated and annoyed, though predominantly on an interpersonal level. Its not that I have a hard time getting along with people or anything, by no means. But all the other interns (not to mention the employees) are at least returning for their second summer. Not to say that any of them are the most successful social creatures to begin with, but they have their friends and don't seem particularly keen on making more. I get along with them well enough, but they somehow seem to remain aquantances.

On the bright side, programming goes well. I somehow keep ending up with the most difficult and frustrating tasks for the project. On some level I'm sure I choose them. Despite aggravating me they have actually forced me to learn a lot. Which is after all the point of my exile.

My progress and observations lend me faith that I may well be able to come out of college with my own studio(or at least the beginnings of one). I still have some things to learn before I'll really be there, but there are some guys around here that have their own studios and are making it. So I hope I can learn the ways by hanging out with them some, if I can ever catch them anyway.

I've fallen in to the habit of starting music on my computer and leaving it going when I leave. The headphones remain quiet enough that I don't notice, and its sort of interesting to see what song its found its way to upon my return. This time it was a Nine Inch Nails remix of closer. I like NIN, they are interesting. I like that Trent Resnor does it all. Makes me want to do it all, or at least know that I could. I guess thats sorta why I want to have a studio that makes stuff, so that I can do it all (whatever all ends up being). Hopefully I can manage to make a living that way, though its likely to include some long days and short nights along the way.

Speaking of working, for those of you who have never worked under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), know that its strange. Its particularly troublesome for me. Having struggled to find recognition and a place to explore game developement I have on some level found release. I find myself excited about the things that I'm now being allowed to work on, just as I find myself legally bound not to speak of selfsame things.

Its aggravating, and hopefully goes some way towards explaining my general lack of visibility. Its not that I'm trying to avoid you or anything, its just that its kind of ackward. My whole life out here revolves around work. With few exceptions my waking hours are bound to it, and I can not talk about it. Not to mention the general tired/fried sort of feeling I experience when I do step away (or am made to step away by inability to focus).

Speaking of which, I grow tired. I shall retire, but know that I yet live...

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com