Wednesday, July 07, 2004
Ride the pig.
Here I am in Cedar Falls (again). My girlfriend is at work now, so I am at the computer lab experiencing the fastass connection speeds of the campus connection and wondering how I’ve been able to live with dialup.

It’s strange being here on campus because the weather is surprisingly cold, making it feel like October, which triggers memories of the past couple falls (spent watching lame tv reruns of horror movies while doing homework, or drinking heavily at various Parties de Halloween). For those of you who are UNI students past or future, I’ll say that an entirely new section of the grounds are now torn up, meaning only that a different thirty percent of campus is now inaccessible.

While I was bumming around the deserted Union building I saw this flyer up with pictures of casualties of recent US war involvements. Most of these were infants or children, and some were grotesquely deformed, supposedly due to rifle rounds and other armaments with some sort of radioactive effect. This all was taken in pretty quickly, because it was a small flyer, but was disturbing.

People have always been asking why horrible things happen to good people if we really live in a world created by a benevolent God. I used to feel that evil was necessary as a by-product of moral freedom; if God didn’t allow us to do evil, after all, there would be no choice in morality and we’d be mindless subjects. Recently, though, I’ve started feeling differently. I still believe that free will is necessary, and so some evil must also be present, but if there really exists a benevolent God then why do we need the really disgusting parts of life (rape, mutilation, murder)? Why are we allowed to do these things? Is it really true that a necessary condition of existence under God is the daily ruination of life for innocent people?

Anyway, that’s getting rambly. I didn’t know until just now that rambly’s not a word. But I guess it makes sense.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com