Thursday, December 03, 2009
The Last Post Continued, Including Four Quick Video Game Reviews

So with the lack of embedded lighting in our apartment, the first few days there were interesting and primitive battles against the darkness. For about two weeks I couldn't even figure out how to power-up the kitchen illuminators (Sarah finally showed me how). We had a week's overlap for moving, during which I would fly to the old place after work, pack up, then shoot to the new place downtown, wrestle into the parking lot, and then swear and haul armloads of junk upstairs.

 

Very early in the process, I added in this step: staying at the new place, instead of going back home. We enlisted one of my coworkers' boyfriends (bought with tacos) to help me get the basic furniture up, and after that it seemed useless to drive 20 minutes back to a tiny place newly void of a bed, etc., even if it did have central air, lights, the internet, etc.

 

This was problematic the first night, in that I hadn't brought lamps, and this was when I discovered the lack of lighting. Sarah was working till midnight across the city, and I had a six-pack of Sapporo and a plastic box of tuna rolls and my office chair and a TV stand and a TV and the 360. I hunted around by the light of my cell phone, got the electronics going, and cracked a beer. Talked to Kevin about my impending return for his wedding, then played

 

SHADOW COMPLEX

 

This game has probably already crossed your radar, but if you missed it, it's definitely worth the ten bucks or whatever it costs to download the thing. Retro, etc., kind of a side-scrolling Metal Gear. Lots replayability, special challenges, etc. I had the same sort of intense romance with this game as I did with the redo of Bionic Commando the previous summer.

 

THE BALLAD OF GAY TONY
(the new GTA DLC)

 

Pretty good; this DLC stands alone, like the previous one, but it refines the weaknesses of the previous one to make what feels like a GTA (sub-)game that feels like it's learned its lessons. There's a storyline, but it's not overbearing; there are new weapons, vehicles, etc., that you have to work to obtain but not too hard; and there are interesting new mission styles. This is a fresh take on the GTA IV world that keeps what works from previous attempts.

 

SETTLERS

 

I downloaded this last year on (I think) Rominger's advice and it's great! It's a very slick adaptation of the board game that basically loses nothing but the lameass set-up and tear-down time, and maybe the danger of having your friend toss a fistful of ore cards in your face after you block his longest road. Good multiplayer options, and strong AI competition (Sarah watched me furiously face down a triumvirate of Abe Lincolns).

 

L4D2

 

I already wrote about this here, but everything strong I had to say, I now say again. The things that worked in the original game are still here, and a lot of things that could be improved have been improved. The complexities and freshness of the physical environments reward replays, and I still recommend this game.

0 Replies:

Post a Comment

<< Home




Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com